Contributed by Andreas Kioroglou, founder of Athens-based Matadog Design.
Stafidenios® is a raisin product packed for kids. It is made in Greece and the packaging dimensions are created so the product can fit easily into a kid’s cupped hand. Each box hides a different paper toy that can be easily constructed without the use of glue or scissors.
The assignment Matadog Design was tasked with by the executive director of Enios was to create the Stafidenios brand from scratch.
A custom type was designed for the logo, colour-divided into “Stafid” which means raisin in Greek, and “enios” which is the name of the company. We were going for a playful style, and the colour division was made so the consumer would instantly recognize the content of the box.
Maximum production cost for the packaging must not exceed €0.07 because of the low retail price.
- Achieve the desired production cost goal
- Create something unique and distinctive in the world market
- Design a new unique packaging structure
- Design a character that kids would love
- Find a way to include a toy or something of the sort inside the packaging
- Small size packaging
- Materials limitations due to low budget
The packaging had to play multiple roles:
- Inform about how healthy raisins are
- Be specially designed for kids
- Ensure that the free toy can be used over and over again
- Have a surprise factor reeling in more repeat purchases from consumers
- Have the intrinsic quality to be easily assembled, preferably on the go
- Ensure a child-friendly construction
- Create a healthy habit for kids
The visual character of “Stafidenios” had to be sweet and relaxing with a casual style. We selected the final character after many sketches and a lot of research on a small focus group of parents and kids.
We designed 10 different heroes/paper toys: Stafidenios, Stafidenia, Cat, Dog, Panda, Parrot, Penguin, Turtle, Monkey, and Kangaroo.
Our packaging design was issued a patent by the Trademarks and Designs Registration Office.